Sunday, November 4, 2007

Swept away by the rain!


It was only a couple of months ago that I found myself talking to a little old lady at the bus stop who was afraid to go out in the rain. I had never heard of such a thing before!!! Afraid of the rain?!* Afraid that she might get caught up in the current and drown?!* I had never seen rain like that before, that strong and mighty, nor had I ever thought of such a peculiar (or what I thought peculiar) fear, UNTIL.... I experienced the rainy season in Costa Rica!!! The rain here is so powerful. During the rainy season it rains for 2-3 hours straight and since the water has nowhere to go in the already over saturated soil, it gushes out of the drains, spews from the streets and runs down the sidewalks making it impossible to maintain a firm grip between the soles of your shoes and the ground beneath. Some blame El NiƱo for the recent extra rains, some the tear in the ozone layer, others try not to focus on the negative and set their sights on summer, almost as a mantra repeating, "summer is just around the corner." Whatever the cause, I now understand the little old lady who doesn't leave her house when it starts to rain and share these pictures with you.

1 comment:

Carlos Gonzalez said...

I am so glad you made it outside the country... May God continue to allow you to live your dreams. Drop me a note.

Carlos Gonzalez
grace4carlos@yahoo.com